Monday, March 13, 2006

3/02/2006 The Curse of the Cranberries. . .




I buy cds from my friend Chris at work, who belongs to yourmusic.com. I have bought like 20 cds from him in the last 3 months. They are only $6 apiece. So last week I bought a Bowie CD for a friend, and then decided to snowball the order. I got a Beth Orton CD, both Wilco Mermaid Avenue CDs, the new Ben Folds (have to get everything after the surprising, monumental "The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner), and the Cranberries No Need to Argue - for old time sake. I get nostalgic when I hear this because it reminds me of the first bar I used to frequent in Nantes, France when I was 19. My friend Tim and I would drink 1664s and Kronenbergs after class. Anyways, it is not as good as I remembered it, but it's still good. So Chris starts saying, "Glen, I bet you can't wait to go home so you can really let loose singing along to the Cranberries. . ." Not the best mocking material, but good enough (he later made a semi-convincing argument that women would find me attractive in the same way men might find Condoleezza Rice attractive). Anyways, I get home, open up several tables of Party 30-60 and start to import my music. After I threw in the Cranberries, my itunes messes up. The importing goes down t 1.2x, the cd-rom starts vibrating, and all my tables freeze up. I had AcTc in the cutoff, and it folded to me on one of my tables - then Party froze up, and, in addition to the AcTc, I had just paid the blinds on two other tables.) I timed out of all my hands on 5 tables. This is probably the equivalent of losing a $100 bill. I get pissed. (I have a flashback to when I was a junior in college and bought the Cranberries To the Faithful Departed. It was so bad it made me angry. I listened to it three times. Then I put on the Cranberries song "Disappointment" from No Need to Argue and invited some friends in to watch me rifle the cd out of my 3rd floor window frisbee-style.) I reopen party. 1,200 hands into the session I am stuck 8k. I just made 3 bad plays. It' like 11 p.m. I am hungry - my apt. is empty, AND I can't eat anything anyways because of my prop. bet. So I had 2 cups of coffee. I somehow get even at like 1:20 a.m. I have no idea how I do, but I do. It's 2 a.m. and I'm wide awake. I lay down on my couch, set my alarm for 7:15, and throw in The Aviator. Now it's like 3:30 a.m. I drift for 5 minutes, start to dream, then something I was dreaming about makes me jump. I decide to stop the movie, write the time I am at (like 1:14:45)on a napkin. I throw in Pulp Fiction. I can't sleep. I look at the clock and it's 5 a.m. I wake up at 7:15 a.m. and hit the snooze. Next time I look it's 8:05 a.m. Gah. Long day ahead. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home