Saturday, April 01, 2006

GP's Big Adventure. . . .

It's 2:51 now a.m. now. Don't mind the time on the blog. That's California time. Anyways, I said I might have something to report and I do. As soon as I left work I felt the spring in the air. I love the North End. Even though my rent is way too big, I am not going to want to leave in October when my lease is up. I walked to the liquor store on the way home to get some whiskey and diet coke. As I was walking up the street, I heard some 60-something round woman say to another 60-something round woman who was sitting outside her apartment, "Wow. I know it's spring when you're sitting outside. You're like my baromaDAH!" Nice.
I came home, casually playing for a bit until my ex-roommate Gabe called to tell me he was heading to a bar in the basement of the Jury Hotel in downtown Boston. I would have photos, but I asked my friend Susan if I should bring my camera. It feels so old now being like 2" thick. I realized I would only take like 3 pictures, so I decided I wouldn't take it. I took a cab to the hotel. Some Asian girl who was cute but turned out to be annoying walked by with her friends and said "Let's go here!" She struck up a conversation with me. She said she was with her friends from "The League of Women." They were recruiting tonight, so they were coming from a hotel where they had a reception, etc. They volunteer, etc. (I had a flashback to earlier in the evening when my friend Deva was telling someone that volunteering was a great way to meet women.) Well, I didn't care to talk to these women, and they kept joking, "Hey, you're still here!" Even though it was obvious I was in line with them and couldn't go anywhere. The Asian girl, Tina, made a joke that I reminded her of the guy from Troy, and started telling me she studied the classics in college. I was about to get into the bar when the bouncer said, "How many?" she said "7! Achilles, you have to be part of our group. Is that ok?" Bah. Anyways, as soon as they let me in, I drifted to find Gabe. . .
So the bar was fun. I drank a lot. I talked to some boring people and some intersting people. I ended up talking to this woman who I found out was German, so I didn't waste any time telling her about my German vacation coming up this summer. She told me what cities were cool and what cities weren't, etc. I told her the motto for my trip was going to be "Unverhooff kompt oft." I spelled that very wrong I bet. She said "I expect the unexpected?" Well, I learned from my friend Tania that it means "Expect the unexpected," and it was the punchline in her favorite series of children's books. Anyways, that's going to be the motto of our trip. Since I had a bunch of whiskey at my place, I just drank a few beers. Gabe's friend Lucas bought a round of shots later and that, combined with an I.P.A. right after, kind of made me feel real drunk. I went outside to have a cigarette with Gabe. Some woman asked me for a light. We started talking. Gabe did some drunken promoting of me, which I appreciated, then decided to go back inside, which demonstrated rock solid instincts on his part. After a few minutes of conversation I realized I was very, very drunk. She sensed this. "Are you drunk?" She asked. "Kind of." I said. After like 5 minutes she offered her number to me. I looked at my phone and pushed a button or two, but it was obvious I wasn't capable of the simple task. She said "Umm, should I do it?" I said "No, I have it. . . " Clearly, I didn't have it. She grabbed my phone and put it in for me. Her name was Kim. She told me to call her. I said I would. Gabe came outside and said he was leaving. I left with him. I took a cab. I got home and thought to myself, "I wonder if Kim actually put her number in my phone? and was that even her name?" So I found a Kim in my contacts. I proceeded to drink some water and chill for a bit. Then I played 150-3 at inter and won some money. . . . I do wish I brought my camera though. I will try not to make that mistake again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home