Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Maxing out the passport renewal fees. . .

I needed a passport fast. I lost my old one, but I have my first one from when I was like 15. On Friday, the lady at the post office tells me I need a birth certificate. On Monday, the guy tells me they stop passport applications at 4:30. Bah. So today I rolled in. Everything was all set. . . "Do you need to see my birth certifcate?" "Nope (t cost $18). I just need a check." Well, I didn't have my checkbook. For some reason I didn't bring it today like I had for the last few days. "Do you take debit cards?" "Yes." Great, I opened my wallet only to discover I probably left it in an atm AGAIN - THAT'S LIKE THE 4TH TIME I'VE DONE THAT THIS YEAR. Seriously, over the past two years I have probably averaged 3.2 trips to the atm per debit card left in the machine. (I am sure I lead the Sovereign Bank League that statisical category) Maybe I am such a space-cadet that I don't even hear the loud beep when one doesn't take the card back, or maybe I am so fidgety that I am already half a block away when it beeps - I don't know. So, I had to take a cab home and back, which cost $19 total, pay $60 for expedited service on top of the $67 renewal fee. Pay a $30 post office fee. The expedited service means 2 to 3 weeks. Since I am leaving in three and a half weeks, I decided not to chance it and get express mail both ways for another $28.80. . . something's gonna go wrong anyways. I can't figure it out, but I am guessing I will have to sign for it, and the usps will leave notes at the door I never use. Then, after 3 days they will return it, and I won't be able to go to Europe. Anyways, the closer it comes to the day I leave will be proportional to the likelihood I decide to actually just eat those special european cafe brownies they have over there. . .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home