Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Home game #1. . .

I am not a huge fan of live poker. I used to think the social benefits of live poker made it a nice break from grinding online, but the last two times I have played live at a club, I haven't really had that much fun, and after about an hour both times I kind of started wishing I had just stayed in and gone to bed early. The last time I played live, though, was in January, so when Matt suggested getting a small home game, I liked the idea. Bran was supposed to come last night, but he didn't end up making the drive, so we played three handed 20-40 rotation at my place. We used it as an opportunity to play games other then limit holdem, which is basically what we all play 95% of the time. After an hour or two we added $5-$5 bling pot-limit rotation with a $400 max per person in a pot. We never had a three-way capped pot, but we did have several heads-up hands that were maxed out. Here are some game notes. . .

-The worst play of the night was made by none other than myself. Playing 20-40 badugi (the best hand is A234 of four different suits. Anthony raised on the button, I called with a three card draw to an 8, Matt 3 bet, and we both called. We all drew one. I made an 876A badugi. I checked with the intention of check-raising and standing pat, but Matt bet and Anthony raised. Since it was the first draw, I folded. Matt went on to win with a 5 badugi - basically the nuts 99.9% of the time. However, I told them what I folded and the Matt and Anthony shared a deep hearty five minute belly-laugh. I realized the error of my ways (esp. since a 235 badugi draw has 5 outs to beat me, but whatever this was like the the third hand ever of badugi I played. . . ), but it probably helped me take down a pot or two uncontested later on in the night. . .

-I thought I was the one of the laziest people ever when it comes to life's basic yet trivial responsibilities, but I have to hand that title to Anthony. We were talking before about stupid lazy habits we have - i.e. I still have my garage door opener from my last apartment and have yet to receive the deposit; I still have my old cable box, have been charged for it, and haven't got around to returning it, etc. When we were playing, though, Anthony wasn't burning cards when dealing(burning = before laying out the flop, turn, and river, it is customary to take a card off the top of the deck and turn it face down. I said, "Do you not usually burn cards?" He said, "I can if you want, but I'm just lazy. . . "

-This game is probably going to get a lot bigger when we adjust the cap accordingly to the pl games.

-5 card draw triple draw high is fun, except when you get all-in with aces up vs a pair of queens, and after the second draw, you hear someone pinch the cards and say "third queen. . ."

-Anthony wears early 80's gray sweatpants. . .

-Matt got more annoyed than I have every seen anyone get when I did a simple free showdown turn raise on him in $40-$80 holdem: "That is so dumb why don't you just call the turn and river?! You know you are getting 3-bet by anything that beats you!!! Bran does that all the time, and I tell him he's an idiot!!!!" I am anticipating the next time I raise the turn I may be getting three bet no matter what. I hope I have something. . .

-This game should clearly take place on a weekend, so I never find myself in the situation where I should go to bed at 12:30 a.m. right as someone calls pl 2-7 triple draw, and so I don't have to get up early the next day. . .

Round 2 to follow in time. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home